Give to Logic(s) and help radically re-imagine tech journalism!
With the goal of detonating the bleak uniformity of tech journalism, in 2023 Logic(s) became a global platform for Black, Queer and Asian scholars, creatives, activists, farmers, poets, immigrants to substantially investigate the role of technology in society, suture together a different kind of conversation on new terms!
In Logic(s) we are doing something very different than counting up falling sky, Chicken Little style. We switching out the stultifying dread and doomsday hand-wringing for Black joy and rhythmic plurinational freedom dreaming. By placing poetry and mixed media on the same axis as narrative journalism, we’re re-conceptualizing what a critical analysis of technology consists of and expanding who are considered technologists beyond computer science PhD alumni.
As Logic(s) is showing, everyone is implicated in technology's processes and logics, but what our location reveals is different— whether at home, locked in a box, or on the street . The tangible ways tech contributes or intrudes into our relationships, our work is mediated by our social location and requires a range of expressions including artistic and creative practices.
Logic(s)’ re-envisioning of tech journalism requires deepening our material commitment to our intergenerational contributors and staff in such a way that centers communities instead of profit. Materializing the ideas in the magazine within the real world requires building an infrastructure to mentor, resource and engage the growing team of people who make each issue possible. Even with Foundation support, our subscribers, and a home at Columbia University, we are far short of having the resources to achieve this vision.
Membership support helps us:
• support the ethical translation of articles from English to local languages in the places where stories take place (and visa versa);
• continue to invest in politically informed and technically trained fact-checking, especially as legacy media continues to gut their own capacity, so daring stories are not undermined by forces who seek to discredit the;
• transition our editorial, fact checking and copy-editing team farther away from the precarity of freelance opportunities toward offering full-time, benefits eligible positions;
• invest deeply in mentorship for our contributors and team to enrich the quality of the stories we release and provide an alternate career path for those who want to engage ideas deeply without competing on the academic job market;
• curate virtual and live event series that continue conversations provoked by the Logic(s) magazine in spaces outside of the most resourced US coastal cities. World building for joy, connection and learning must include — but extend well beyond — the pages of each issue.
For a limited time only, we are offering three exclusive H°B x Logic(s) items ripped from the pages of Logic(s) 20! Become a member to get yours!
Members play a crucial role in this support to bring stories to life. Consistent with our mission, we seek to disrupt traditional membership models by ensuring membership is accessible to all — we believe membership is a way to invest in our mission at whatever level your income allows, while helping support inclusion of members who otherwise couldn't afford to join.
** Can't afford one of these options but want the magazine and gear? Click here to tell us more about yourself and what Logic(s) membership means to you! **